Energy Savings Opportunities Scheme (ESOS)
What is ESOS?
The Energy Savings Opportunities Scheme (ESOS)is a mandatory energy assessment scheme which requires large UK organisations to undertake comprehensive assessments of energy use and identify energy efficiency opportunities at least once every four years.
Does your company meet ESOS criteria?
ESOS applies to any large company that carries out a trade or a business, and any UK corporate group where at least one member meets the ESOS criteria:
- A large undertaking is one that employs at least 250 people.
- Or has an annual turnover in excess of €50 million and a balance sheet in excess of €43 million.
- Most public sector bodies are excluded, but other organisations that receive some public funding, such as universities, may qualify.
We are now in Phase 3 of the ESOS compliance scheme. The regulations require large UK organisations to take three important steps before the compliance deadline of 5 December 2023:
- Measure total energy consumption for buildings, industrial processes and transport.
- Conduct audits to identify cost-effective energy efficiency recommendations for areas of significant energy consumption.
- Report compliance to their national scheme administrator. (The Environment Agency in England; SEPA in Scotland; NIEA in Northern Ireland; and NRW in Wales).
To comply with regulations, a Lead Energy Assessor must conduct an ESOS Assessment. If an organisation has ISO 50001, they are already compliant but require a lead assessor to submit the evidence.
What is ISO 50001?
The International Organization for Standardisation (ISO) developed ISO 50001 as a blueprint to assist organisations in improving energy management.
ISO 50001 identifies requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining and improving an energy management system. This can embed energy practice in your business and create a strategy for continuous improvement.
Displaying your Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) commitment could produce benefits in operational productivity, staff engagement, reduced regulatory taxes, and carbon footprint reductions.
ISO 50001 system also enables businesses to become excused from complying with ESOS, providing it covers 100% of the organisation’s energy footprint.
GEAB deliver ESOS assessment for your business.
The Green Energy Advice Bureau deliver full ESOS compliance and implementation services with ESOS Energy Audits and Display Energy Certificates (DECs).
If your organisation meets ESOS criteria, contact GEAB from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday on 0800 084 3477 to complete ESOS compliance.