Display Energy Certificate


A Display Energy Certificate (DEC) shows the energy performance of a building, based on the operational rating*. The rating scale ranges from A (very efficient) to G (least efficient). A DEC must be accompanied by an advisory report which outlines how an organisation can reduce energy consumption.

Public authorities must have a DEC for a building if the following criteria apply:

  • The building is at least partially occupied by a public authority (e.g., council, leisure centre, college, NHS trust etc).

  • The building has a total floor area of over 250 square metres.

  • The building is frequently visited by the public.

How long are DECs valid?

DEC’s are valid for one year for buildings with a total useful floor area of more than 1000m². They last for 10 years when the total useful floor area is over 250 m² and up to 1000m².

DEC’s were introduced to improve the energy efficiency of buildings and inform visitors about energy usage as part of the implementation of the Energy Performance of Buildings Regulations 2012 (England & Wales).

Local authorities can issue a penalty charge notice of £500 for failure to display a DEC, with a further £1000 for failure to obtain an advisory report.

GEAB provide Display Energy Certificates (DECs)

Highly qualified and fully accredited GEAB energy assessors will produce your DEC and advisory report for submission to the non-domestic energy performance register.

GEAB also assist organisations with any changes to improve your energy rating and energy performance, helping to reduce operating costs and enhance user experience.

To meet regulatory DEC obligations and improve energy performance, contact GEAB from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday on 0800 084 3477.

(*Please note public buildings in Scotland must have an Energy Performance Certificate instead of DEC).

Request a Quote